‘Lisbon has got sights, culture and cuisine, yet it’s rarely mentioned alongside southern European heavyweights such as Barcelona or Rome. If this mystifying lack of recognition is what helps the Portuguese capital remain a bargain, long may it continue.
Best for independent travellers to Lisbon
In this compact guide, Rick Steves covers the essentials of Lisbon, including the Tejo River, Belem, and the Bairro Alto district. Visit Lisbon's Sao Roque Church, taste the world's greatest selection of ports at the Port Wine Institute, or observe art spanning 2,000 years at the Gulbenkian Museum. You'll get Rick's firsthand advice on the best sights, eating, sleeping, and nightlife, and the maps and self-guided tours will ensure you make the most of your experience. More than just reviews and directions, a Rick Steves Snapshot guide is a tour guide in your pocket.
This Snapshot guide consist of excerpted chapters from Rick Steves Portugal.
Marvel at the intricacy of Belem’s monastery, experience Lisbon on the golden tram, or enjoy a city view from the Castelo de Sao Jorge; all with your trusted travel companion.
- Full-colour maps and images throughout
- Highlights and itineraries help you tailor your trip to your personal needs and interests
- Free, convenient pull-out Lisbon map (included in print version), plus over 15 colour neighbourhood maps
- User-friendly layout with helpful icons, and organised by neighbourhoods to help you determine the best spots to spend your time
Discover the best of everything Lisbon has to offer with the essential DK Eyewitness Top 10 Travel Guide Lisbon guide. Top 10 lists showcase the best things to do in Lisbon, from exploring the Moorish Castelo de São Jorge to the city's sandy beaches and Oceanarium. Full of inspiring photography, DK Eyewitness Top 10 Lisbon shows you what other travel guides only tell you, and with comprehensive and clear maps it's simple to discover and enjoy the top things to do in Lisbon. Eight easy-to-follow itineraries explore Lisbon's most interesting areas - from charming Belém to majestic Sintra - while reviews of the best hotels, restaurants and nightlife in Lisbon will help you plan your perfect trip.
Best for walkers
This itinerary-based guide provides details of the city's best walking routes, written by a local expert, for that personal touch and insider information. Explore Lisbon is the perfect companion when exploring this fascinating city, revealing its history and cultural flavour through appealing walks and tours. These cover Beijing's classic attractions but also tracks lesser known sights and up and coming areas.
- Experience the best of Lisbon: ride the iconic trams, listen to the traditional sound of fado and sample Belem's famous custard tarts
- Insight's trademark cultural coverage sets the routes in context, with introductions to Lisbon's food and wine, lively nightlife options, shopping and key historical dates
- Recommended places to eat and drink are highlighted in each route, with even more suggestions in the directory section, which also contains a wealth of useful practical information including a range of carefully selected accommodation to suit all budgets
- Pull-out map with useful plotted routes
- Evocative photography captures the very best of this exciting city
Best for those traveling with a tour group
This is the ideal guidebook for anyone travelling to Lisbon with a tour group who doesn’t need the coverage the other general guidebooks have on accommodation, transport and other logistical information. What it lacks in those details in makes up with stunning photography, detailed 3D cutaways of landmark buildings and sites, and informative illustations. In addition to information on what to see, the book has insightful features to make your trip ever more meaningful.
- Tailor-made itineraries
- Walks, scenic routes and thematic tours
- 370 stunning colour photographs