‘Lisbon has got sights, culture and cuisine, yet it?s rarely mentioned alongside southern European heavyweights such as Barcelona or Rome. If this mystifying lack of recognition is what helps the Portuguese capital remain a bargain, long may it continue.
Best for independent travellers to Lisbon
In this compact guide, Rick Steves covers the essentials of Lisbon, including the Tejo River, Belem, and the Bairro Alto district. Visit Lisbon's Sao Roque Church, taste the world's greatest selection of ports at the Port Wine Institute, or observe art spanning 2,000 years at the Gulbenkian Museum. You'll get Rick's firsthand advice on the best sights, eating, sleeping, and nightlife, and the maps and self-guided tours will ensure you make the most of your experience. More than just reviews and directions, a Rick Steves Snapshot guide is a tour guide in your pocket.
This Snapshot guide consist of excerpted chapters from Rick Steves Portugal.
Best for walkers
This itinerary-based guide provides details of the city's best walking routes, written by a local expert, for that personal touch and insider information. Explore Lisbon is the perfect companion when exploring this fascinating city, revealing its history and cultural flavour through appealing walks and tours. These cover Beijing's classic attractions but also tracks lesser known sights and up and coming areas.
- Experience the best of Lisbon: ride the iconic trams, listen to the traditional sound of fado and sample Belem's famous custard tarts
- Insight's trademark cultural coverage sets the routes in context, with introductions to Lisbon's food and wine, lively nightlife options, shopping and key historical dates
- Recommended places to eat and drink are highlighted in each route, with even more suggestions in the directory section, which also contains a wealth of useful practical information including a range of carefully selected accommodation to suit all budgets
- Pull-out map with useful plotted routes
- Evocative photography captures the very best of this exciting city