‘With an almost comical geographical shape and virtually every climate imaginable, this beautiful, memorable corner of the world is a place of extremes and contradictions. Few countries have quite such a split geographical personality. Here, you can often glimpse the snows of the high Andes from the Pacific Ocean, ski in the mountains in the morning and be drinking pisco sours on the beach come sundown.’ (Footprint)
Best for first-time travellers to Chile
‘Without doubt the best travel guide for South America guide books are packed with glossy photos but also plenty of details with recommendations of places to eat, drink and stay as well as good suggestions for things to do.’ (‘Sound and Colours’ blog on all things Latin American) https://soundsandcolours.com/ The Chile edition is no exception. From Patagonian penguins to the buzz of vertiginous Valparaiso, Footprint's fully updated 8th edition will help you navigate this adventurous destination.
- Great coverage of the top activities and sights in the region, including Easter Island, Chiloe, the wine routes, skiing, geysers and salt flats
- Loaded with information and suggestions on how to get off the beaten track, from hiking volcanoes to white-water rafting
- Includes comprehensive information on everything from transport and practicalities to history, culture & landscape
Seasoned author and South America expert Wayne Bernhardson covers the best of Chile's rich history and culture, from skiing in the boroughs of Santiago to wine-tasting in the country's heartland. To help travellers plan for their trip, Bernhardson includes insightful and fun suggested itineraries, such as Adventure in the Andes, The Best of Santiago, Valparaiso, and Wine Country and Wildlife Encounters. With information on climbing volcanoes in the Sur Chico, following the path of Chilean poet Pablo Neruda, and exploring the remote corners of the Atacama desert, Moon Chile gives travellers the tools they need to create a more personal and memorable experience.
Best for travellers on a tour group
This is the ideal guidebook for anyone travelling to Chile on an organised tour. It’s lighter on logistics (accommodation, transport, etc) than is found the guidebooks listed above, but on a tour you don’t need that as it’s all taken care of for you. What makes this guidebook really useful, besides the information it provides on what to see, are the background features and stunning photography it contains. These features make up abotu two-thirds of the book.
- Stunning, specially-commissioned photography that brings this breathtaking country and its people to life.
- Highlights of the country's top attractions, from national parks to historic buildings and vineyards to hot springs in the Best of Chile and Easter Island
- Descriptive region-by- region accounts cover the whole country
- Folded road and tourist map of Chile at 1:2 500 000 scale.
- Places of interest, national parks, and beaches are all highlighted and shaded relief colouring clearly depicts the topography.
- Special maps of around Santiago, Easter Island and the Peninsula Valdes, and features city maps of Central Santiago, Arica, Iquique, Antofagasta, La Serena and Punta Arenas.
- Printed on waterproof, tear-resistant paper