Constantly reimagining itself as it races towards the future, yet inextricably linked to its glorious, notorious past, Beijing is as compelling as it is complex.
Best for backpackers and budget travellers to Beijing
Lonely Planet will get you to the heart of Beijing, with amazing travel experiences and the best planning advice. Coverage includes: Forbidden City & Dōngchéng Central, Drum Tower & Dōngchéng North, Temple of Heaven Park & Dōngchéng South, Běihǎi Park & Xīchéng North, Dashilar & Xīchéng South, Sānlǐtún & Cháoyáng, Summer Palace & Hǎidiàn, Day Trips from Běijīng, and more.
- inspirational images and recommendations from our expert authors
- planning features and top itineraries to help you plan the perfect trip
- local secrets and hidden travel gems that will make your trip unique
From the majestic Forbidden City and maze-like hutong alleys to gorgeous lake-filled parks and the exquisite Summer Palace, this vibrant book - packed full of stunning photography and clear, colour-coded maps - reveals the city's best sights and attractions. And if you fancy taking a trip outside of Beijing, you'll be pointed in the right direction: incredible treks around the Great Wall, ancient villages, imperial hunting parks and fascinating, offbeat museums are all part of the mix.
- Comprehensive sections detail the very best places to sleep, eat, drink, shop and unwind
- Author picks and "Beijing's Best" recommendations
- Expert reviews on film, literature and live music
Best for families
Beijing, Xian and Shanghai come alive - quickly, enjoyably and affordably, with an EasyGuide from the most trusted name in travel. Arthur Frommer's EasyGuides get to the point, without drowning you in superfluous information. They tell you - in pithy and opinionated pages - how to plan, what to see, where to stay, where to eat, and were to enjoy the destination and take away lessons from it. And in the famous tradition of Frommer's guides, they are practical to a fault, cost-conscious in all price ranges, written by experts, and fun to read - in addition to being blessedly short and low in price. One of the few guides that cater to those travelling with kids.
Best for those traveling with a tour group
This is the ideal guidebook for anyone travelling to Beijing with a tour group who doesn’t need the coverage the other general guidebooks have on accommodation, transport and other logistical information. What it lacks in those details in makes up with stunning photography, detailed 3D cutaways of landmark buildings and sites, and informative illustations. In addition to information on what to see, the book has insightful features to make your trip ever more meaningful.
- Tailor-made itineraries
- Walks, scenic routes and thematic tours
- Over 500 stunning colour photographs
Best for walkers
This itinerary-based guide provides details of the city's best walking routes, written by a local expert, for that personal touch and insider information. Explore Beijing is the perfect companion when exploring this fascinating city, revealing its history and cultural flavour through appealing walks and tours. These cover Beijing's classic attractions but also tracks lesser known sights and up and coming areas.
- The best places to eat and drink are highlighted in each route and in the directory section, which also contains a wealth of useful practical information, including a range of carefully selected hotels to suit all budgets.
- All routes are plotted on the useful pull out map, and evocative photography reveals Beijing's unique character.