‘It’s tempting to say that there’s nowhere quite like Barcelona – there’s certainly no other city in Spain to touch it for sheer style, looks or energy. The glossy mags and travel press dwell enthusiastically on its outrageous architecture, designer shopping, cool bars and vibrant cultural scene, but Barcelona is more than just this year’s fad. It’s a confident, progressive city, one that is tirelessly self-renewing while preserving all that’s best about its past. As old neighbourhoods bloom, and landmark museums and sights are restored with panache, there’s still an enduring embrace of the good things in life, from the daily market to the late-night café. (Pocket Rough Guide Barcelona)
Best for independent travellers to Barcelona
You can count on Rick Steves to tell you what you really need to know when traveling in Barcelona. With the self-guided tours in this book, you'll explore Barcelona's historic Old City, lively harbourfront, and bustling Plaça de Catalunya. Learn how to save time and money on the Metro, and how to avoid the mobs at Gaudí's Sagrada Família. Immerse yourself in Catalan culture and art at the Picasso Museum and gothic La Seu Cathedral, and grab a bite to eat at a tapas bar; then head to the Passeig de Gràcia to marvel at the fascinating architecture of Casa Batlló and Casa Milà. Rick's candid, humorous advice will guide you to good-value hotels and restaurants. He'll help you plan where to go and what to see, depending on the length of your trip. You'll get up-to- date recommendations about what is worth your time and money. More than just reviews and directions, a Rick Steves guidebook is a tour guide in your pocket.
This full-colour, pocket-size guide, packed with inspirational photos and detailed, reliable maps - including a full-colour pull-out map of the city - will show you the best of Barcelona, from Gaudi's whimsical Park Guell to cafe-lined city beaches, medieval squares and locals' favourite tapas bars, not to mention Barcelona's famous nightlife. Up-to- date reviews cover hotels, restaurants and bars for every budget, including boutique B&Bs, stylish apartments and beachside hostels, while neighbourhood-by- neighbourhood accounts mean you'll find the best things to see and do, wherever you're staying. Combining Rough Guides's unique tell-it- like-it- is style with all the practical information you need to make the most of your trip, Pocket Rough Guide Barcelona is the perfect companion for a visit to this vibrant city.
Barcelona Marco Polo Spiral Guide is a compact travel guide for people who have little time to prepare for a trip, don't want to miss anything, like to be inspired by great ideas for exciting days out and love all things ultra-practical and easy to use.
- Top 10 sights: From the top down to make it easy to prioritise!
- The Barcelona Feeling gives tips to help you experience the essence of the city - for example, a cool drink in one of the spectacular rooftops or enjoying hot chocolate and fresh churros in a milk bar. Get under the skin of Barcelona to see what makes it tick.
- The Magazine section provides an interesting and entertaining account of life in this Modernisme metropolis. It describes the city’s many fiestas: whether it be religious in origin or dating back to some more ancient custom. You will learn about everything from Cuina Catalana, Catalonia’s rich gastronomic tradition, to the region’s fabulous wines, and find out about the fascinating ensemble of Barcelona's attractive neighbourhoods.
Best for walkers
Discover the lively nightlife and bustling daytime of this proud, Catalan city with the best walking routes around the city.
- Insight's trademark cultural coverage sets the routes in context, with introductions to Barcelona's cuisine, entertainment options, wealth of activities on offer and key historical dates.
- Recommended places to eat and drink are highlighted in each route, with even more suggestions in the directory section, which also contains a wealth of useful practical information including a range of carefully selected accommodation to suit all budgets.
- Pull-out map with useful plotted routes.
This is the ideal guidebook for anyone travelling to Barcelona with a tour group who doesn’t need the coverage the other general guidebooks have on accommodation, transport and other logistical information. What it lacks in those details in makes up with stunning photography, detailed 3D cutaways of landmark buildings and sites, and informative illustrations. In addition to information on what to see, the book has insightful features to make your trip ever more meaningful.
- Tailor-made itineraries
- Unique cutaways, floorplans and reconstructions of Barcelona's stunning architecture, plus 3D aerial views of the key districts to explore on foot.
- Walks, scenic routes and thematic tours