‘It’s tempting to say that there’s nowhere quite like Barcelona – there’s certainly no other city in Spain to touch it for sheer style, looks or energy. The glossy mags and travel press dwell enthusiastically on its outrageous architecture, designer shopping, cool bars and vibrant cultural scene, but Barcelona is more than just this year’s fad. It’s a confident, progressive city, one that is tirelessly self-renewing while preserving all that’s best about its past. As old neighbourhoods bloom, and landmark museums and sights are restored with panache, there’s still an enduring embrace of the good things in life, from the daily market to the late-night café. (Pocket Rough Guide Barcelona)
Best for independent travellers to Barcelona
This full-colour, pocket-size guide, packed with inspirational photos and detailed, reliable maps - including a full-colour pull-out map of the city - will show you the best of Barcelona, from Gaudi's whimsical Park Guell to cafe-lined city beaches, medieval squares and locals' favourite tapas bars, not to mention Barcelona's famous nightlife. Up-to- date reviews cover hotels, restaurants and bars for every budget, including boutique B&Bs, stylish apartments and beachside hostels, while neighbourhood-by- neighbourhood accounts mean you'll find the best things to see and do, wherever you're staying. Combining Rough Guides's unique tell-it- like-it- is style with all the practical information you need to make the most of your trip, Pocket Rough Guide Barcelona is the perfect companion for a visit to this vibrant city.
Best for walkers
Discover the lively nightlife and bustling daytime of this proud, Catalan city with the best walking routes around the city.
- Insight's trademark cultural coverage sets the routes in context, with introductions to Barcelona's cuisine, entertainment options, wealth of activities on offer and key historical dates.
- Recommended places to eat and drink are highlighted in each route, with even more suggestions in the directory section, which also contains a wealth of useful practical information including a range of carefully selected accommodation to suit all budgets.
- Pull-out map with useful plotted routes.
This is the ideal guidebook for anyone travelling to Barcelona with a tour group who doesn’t need the coverage the other general guidebooks have on accommodation, transport and other logistical information. What it lacks in those details in makes up with stunning photography, detailed 3D cutaways of landmark buildings and sites, and informative illustrations. In addition to information on what to see, the book has insightful features to make your trip ever more meaningful.
- Tailor-made itineraries
- Unique cutaways, floorplans and reconstructions of Barcelona's stunning architecture, plus 3D aerial views of the key districts to explore on foot.
- Walks, scenic routes and thematic tours